Doktor znanosti/doktorica znanosti s področja varstvoslovja
|Name of qualification||
Name of qualificationDoktor znanosti/doktorica znanosti s področja varstvoslovjaAdd to comparison
|Translated title (no legal status)||
Translated titleDoctorate in the field of security studies
|Type of qualification||
Type of qualificationDoctorate
|Category of qualification||
Category of qualificationEducational Qualification
|Type of education||
Type of educationDoctoral education
Duration of education
SQF LevelSQF 10
EQF LevelEQF 8
EOVK LevelThird level
Students will be able to:
- detect, analyse and solve security-related problems while respecting human rights and the principles of legality and the rule of law;
- demonstrate mastery of general and specific research methods in the study of various security phenomena and the ability to carry out basic and applied research of security phenomena both in local communities and organisations and in an international context;
- transfer theoretical knowledge into everyday practice and synthesise knowledge of security studies and other related disciplines;
- develop ethical standards for high-quality and professional autonomous work;
- develop communication skills for successful work in situations of interdependence in both the national and international environment;
- demonstrate in-depth understanding of relevant relationships between law enforcement agencies and other elements of the security and intelligence system within national security;
- study the scope and type of criminality and other deviance phenomena in society;
- study the implementation of criminal legislation and methods of ensuring security;
- study practices in the performance of police activities, the work of prosecution services and the courts, and the enforcement of criminal sanctions;
- study other social control mechanisms in modern society and provide private, public, internal and international security;
- demonstrate understanding of security problems and activities at the global, continental, national, regional and local levels;
- research causes, implement control activities and respond to crime and the perpetrators of criminal offences;
- demonstrate understanding of the internal security systems of the country and internal security systems in the international community.
Assessment and completion
Assesment and completion
Examination performance is graded as follows: 10 (excellent); 9 (very good: above-average knowledge but with some mistakes); 8 (very good: solid results); 7 (good); 6 (adequate: knowledge satisfies minimum criteria); 5–1 (inadequate). In order to pass an examination, a candidate must achieve a grade between adequate (6) and excellent (10).
In order to progress from the first year to the second year, students must have completed at least 45 first-year ECTS credits, which must include an examination on Security Phenomena Research and successfully completed individual research 1 (15 ECTS credits). In order to progress to the third year, students must have completed all first-year course units and 45 ECTS credits from the current year and have completed individual research 2. This condition also applies to students who have enrolled directly in the second year.
If a student has not completed all course units, the Faculty of Criminal Justice and Security Academic Affairs Committee may approve enrolment in the next year at the student's request provided the student has completed more than half the course units (30 ECTS credits) and may be expected to complete the remainder within the deadline set by the Committee.
Condition for obtaining certificate
Conditions for obtaining a public document
In order to complete the programme, candidates must successfully complete all course units defined by the programme.
University of Maribor, Faculty of Criminal Justice and Security
Awarding body URL
Introductory International Conference: Monitoring the Implementation of the Slovenian Qualifications Framework
Slovenian National Coordination Point for EQF in cooperation with the European Center for the Development of Vocational...